531 Main Street, Suite 7, Jacksboro, TN 37757
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Call for a Free Consultation | We are Available 24/7

Call Us423-449-7980

We are Available 24/7

What Happens After a Car Accident With a Permit Driver in Tennessee?

Posted on in Motor Vehicle Accidents

Campbell County car accident attorney permit driver

The state of Tennessee requires all teenage drivers-to-be to go through a process before earning their Class D driver’s license. This is known as the Graduated Driver License program, and its purpose is to make sure young drivers understand the importance of safe driving. Car accidents involving a GDL driver who has not yet earned a driver’s license can lead to the driver being unable to earn a full license for a longer period of time. The young driver can also be held liable for damages done to another vehicle and/or injuries sustained during the accident.

The Graduated Driver License Program by Steps

There are four levels of the Tennessee GDL program:

  • Learner permit

  • Intermediate Restricted license

  • Intermediate Unrestricted license

  • Class D license

Each level has certain requirements that must be met before obtaining the license, and every level has restrictions -- including the intermediate unrestricted license -- until a driver earns his or her regular Class D license at the age of 18.

Safe driving is of the highest importance while a driver is completing the GDL program. Any traffic offenses will result in points being added to a driver's record. If a teen driver earns six points on his or her driving record, he or she can be penalized based on the offense and type of license held:

  • Six or more points on a record: Those with a learner permit will continue to hold a permit until such a time that they can drive 180 consecutive days without receiving points against their record; intermediate restricted drivers will add 90 days to their period of time with this license (for a total of one year and three months); intermediate unrestricted drivers will drop back to a restricted license for 90 days.

  • If an accident occurs: Intermediate restricted drivers will add 90 days to their period of time with this license (for a total of one year and three months); intermediate unrestricted drivers will drop back to a restricted license for 90 days.

  • If convicted of two or more moving violations: Intermediate restricted drivers will be required to complete a certified driver’s education course; intermediate unrestricted drivers will drop back to a restricted license for 90 days.

  • If a fatal accident occurs: Those with a learner permit will maintain a permit until they are 18 years old; both restricted and unrestricted license holders will drop back to learner permits until age 18.

These are simply the penalties against the license status. A young driver who violates the law can also face fines and possible time in juvenile detention, depending on the nature of the crime.

What to Do After a Car Accident

It is nerve-wracking to be involved in a car accident, especially when there is a possibility of significant injury. However, victims should always call the police first to report the accident and then check themselves, passengers, and the other driver to assess any injuries.

In order to increase the likelihood of receiving compensation for injuries and car damages, a victim should then:

  • Collect evidence of damages and/or injuries by taking pictures at the crash site. Victims should photograph not only their vehicle but also any external injuries.

  • File a report of the accident with the Tennessee Department of Public Safety within 20 days of the accident.

  • Collect information including the name, license plate, and insurance information of the other driver(s) involved in the crash.

  • Gather statements from any eyewitnesses.

  • See a doctor and collect a report on the diagnosis of injuries.

  • Obtain an estimate of how much it will cost to repair damages to the vehicle.

  • Contact a lawyer for representation.

Victims have one year to report the car accident if they want to be able to collect compensation for damages. Having a knowledgeable lawyer at your side gives you a better chance of obtaining the compensation you deserve.

Contact a Jacksboro, TN Personal Injury Attorney

After experiencing a car accident injury, the last thing you should do is stress about paying for medical expenses and car repair bills. A negligent driver may be responsible for causing your crash and subsequent injuries. The lawyers from the Law Office of William F. Evans can guide you through the personal injury claim process so you can collect the money you need and deserve. To schedule a free consultation with a Campbell County car accident lawyer, call our office today at 423-449-7980.







Lead Councel TACDL Elite Lawyer Top 40 Under 40 Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association National College of DUI Defense Member DWI Detection Certificate
Back to Top